Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tengo libros

For an English major, particularly one of the literary studies kind, I don't read much. I argue that's because I have to pour over books for serious business--why would I want to read in my free time? Now that it's summer, I figure I'll want to catch up on some reading. So here's my summer reading list:

Frankenstein: this is for an internship in the coming semester. I've already read the damn thing twice, so I'll mostly be skimming for a quick refresh and gawking at how gay Henry Clerval and Robert Walton are for Victor Frankenstein.

The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: the complete collection of stories (each about ten pages in length except for the novella The Real Story of Ah-Q) by Lu Xun, one of China's leading writers. Since they're short, I can read a few a day, but the real reason I got it is to infuse myself in the stagnant, decaying atmosphere of late-Qing China. I have no excuse to not get through this by the end of the summer.

Spring Snow: 1912 Japan, the rising middle class, and misery. Asking me to not read this is like asking me not to breathe.

I Am a Cat: satire of early 20th century Japanese society. Again, how could I not read this?

Only the Ring Finger Knows: pure, unadulterated trash. After reading a few pages, I started craving McDonalds and Dancing With the Stars.

To the negative four people reading this blog: got anything you plan to read this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment