Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight."

Just got back from LA. I visited a few museums and hope to post some of my shitty, low quality, awkwardly angled pictures later. But for now, let's chronicle my favorite part of the trip: my inability to eat.

On the first day, I should have known what was going to happen. The uncle I was staying with wanted to treat me to homemade sushi and I, in my cravings for cuisine of the Far East, was very excited and ate much sushi and sashimi. This was a mistake.

The next morning it felt like someone had sewn a baby into my belly.

We had been invited to dim sum at the horrible early hours of 8AM. Wanting to get at least some food in, I had a few dumplings. This was another mistake.

By the end of the second day I decided I would only eat a little bit and would avoid as much rice and rice-products as possible under the assumption that my stomach problems were caused by the rice part of the sushi.

By the third day I was feeling pretty constipated. No amount of eating as little as possible and drinking lots of water was helping me. But by some miracle, I became well again on the fourth and penultimate day.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if my stomach problems weren't caused by LA pollution. The Bay Area has generally good weather and air, and several years of living in Northern California, with its trees and close proximity to the ocean, has probably cleaned at least some of my system. I wouldn't be surprised if LA's smog was the cause of this. I hate almost everything else about LA, anyways; why not add the air to my list?

I said I became well near the end of our trip, but that's not quite true. My stomach stopped hurting so much, but my appetite hadn't quite returned. In fact, it still hasn't fully recovered.For now, I'm going to look on the bright side. If this means that I can be satisfied by eating kids' sized meals, maybe I'll slim down a bit.

And really, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment