Saturday, August 14, 2010

The things we pass

Today I visited my grandparents.

When I was young, I used to spend a week out of the summer at my grandparents (back then, I wasn't nearly as easily distracted as I am now, so I could handle spending a week without internet and decent television). There used to be a boy who lived way down the hall. For whatever reason, we became friends and he helped me pass the time.

I thought he was super cool, especially since he had a SNES, a magical console I didn't have that had all sorts of magical, legendary games on it. We'd (sit and I'd watch him) play Ghosts 'n Goblins, the game that solidified my fear of haunted houses and my hatred of games that require reflexes.

I remember that we'd hang out a few more times afterwards, but I eventually stopped going to my grandparents' every summer and we never saw or talked to each other again.

I wonder how many experiences like that we have; meeting people, forming brief connections, and then parting, neither harmed nor enriched by the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment