Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It Happened One Day

In the school I'm studying at and the surrounding area, there's a general understanding the the students and people are much friendlier than the more densely populated parts of California (ie the Bay Area and So Cal). People say hello to strangers and strike up friendly conversation.

I thought I could avoid this, but I hadn't, clearly this blog post wouldn't exist.

After conversing with a girl with a distinctive button (lips stitched shut--drawn by my friend Dian and the main reason I wanted to speak with the girl) on the bus, I was approached by another student. The subject of our conversation was not terribly interesting, mostly about my cheap pilates mat, the midnight showing of Harry Potter, and Thanksgiving break, but the entire time I wondered to myself where I had seen her.

We were both heading to the PE building, where the class for our campus literary magazine was, and as I don't know many of the people were, I wondered if she attended that class as well. As it turns out, she didn't. And as she said goodbye to me, I realised that I too, after almost four years, had been drawn into the web of congeniality surrounding our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment