Monday, November 15, 2010

Throne of Blood and General Nohbuki

A few weeks ago, I heard that there was a stage adaptation of Kurosawa's film Throne of Blood. The play made its debut at the Ashland Shakespeare Festival, which is fitting since Throne of Blood is based off of King Lear.



Being the pretentious arthouse douchebag I am, this sent me into a rage for videos of Noh and Kabuki theater.

Last summer, I saw a collection of Mishima's Noh plays at City Lights. His Noh plays are closer to short Western plays than Noh and he even intended for them to be easily adaptable into other (Western) modes of theater. I should have bought them when I had the chance (I say as if there aren't numerous copies all over the place).



I just wanted to post this one because it's pretty.



Ditto this one. I got to say, I really like the combination of white and red. It makes me think of virginity and death at the same time. Always a winning combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment